Skip to Main Content

Enjoy No State Income Tax with a South Dakota Residency

We can help you establish residency in the state of South Dakota…from getting your driver’s license, registering to vote, obtaining a low SD insurance rate, to creating a relationship with a local bank…you’ll feel right at home as a South Dakota resident. Besides premier mail forwarding service and getting to call the Rushmore State home, you’ll enjoy spectacular economical benefits as well. Click here for more information: How is State Residency is Determined.

South Dakota residents pay among the lowest per capita tax in the nation:

  • No state income tax - Click here to see your savings!
  • No state income tax on Social Security income
  • No personal property tax
  • No pension tax
  • 4% excise tax on net purchase of vehicles and RVs
  • Low vehicle insurance rates
  • No state inheritance tax
  • No intangible tax on investments
  • Low vehicle license fees
  • No annual vehicle inspection requirements

There are many benefits to becoming a South Dakota resident and here are additional details on the process.

Driver’s License

To obtain a South Dakota driver’s license, you must sign-up for a PMB (personal mail box) address provided by DakotaPost first.  We will provide you with a receipt showing that you will be a client of ours for the next year.  You will show this receipt along with a receipt from an overnight stay at a local hotel or campground (include your name and the name of everyone listed on the PMB,  along with your new mailing address on the receipt).  You can then visit the DMV, surrender your existing driver’s license, and get your new SD license with your new address on it.  Before you go, be sure you have the proper identification (CLICK HERE)! To lessen the wait, you can call ahead to schedule an appointment or arrive and register on-site.

Please note that if your name is now different than the name on your identity document you will need to bring additional proof, such as;

  • Certified Marriage Certificate – for all marriages
  • Certified Adoption Document
  • Certified Court Order authorizing a name change (divorce decree)

You will still need to put your PMB address at DakotaPost on your license. This ensures that South Dakota is in compliance with the Federal REAL ID ACT and will allow you to board airplanes within the United States, enter federal buildings, etc. Have other questions? Head to the DMV homepage (CLICK HERE), check out our FAQ, or give us a call.